Interesting bits of history from the past 163 years ……………
One former owner was John Crafton, train master, quarry operator and lumberman. In 1912 he travelled to Europe for treatments for his rheumatism and became homesick after three months. He turned in his ticket on the German steamer Kaiserin August Victoria and paid £ 26 for a first class ticket on the RMS Titanic. He perished among the 1,517 passengers who were lost in the sinking of the unsinkable ship. His tombstone in Rose Hill Cemetery stands at the head of an empty grave.
Hoagy at the Piano in 1926 at the Book Nook, where he wrote 'Washboard Blues".
He graduated from IU Law School that same year
The Hays family was in residence in the 1950's and the property was a cattle farm. Sadly, Mr. Hays' brother was fatally gored by one of the bulls.
Both of the current barns have been converted from cow barns to horse barns. The Hays Farm supplied their downtown Bloomington grocery store, Hays Market, with meat and vegetables.
|The Hays Market building on North Morton Street today.|
The Ellington family is pleased to be a part of the ongoing history of the farm.